Several landmarks in the town are closely associated with the Skagen Painters who used to frequent them, including Brøndums Hotel, Skagens Museum, Michael and Anna Ancher's House, and Drachmann's House.
Skagen's first school was the Latinskole, a grammar school, which was in operation from 1549 until 1739.
Skagen's White Lighthouse with adjoining accommodation for the keeper was built in 1747.
In 1775, accumulations of drifting sand made it difficult to access St Lawrence's Church, finally leading to its closure and partial demolition in 1795.
They built the summer residence Klitgaarden, completed in 1914.
Between the 1930s and 1950s the town grew rapidly, with the population more than doubling from 4,048 in 1930 to 9,009 in 1955.
In the early 1910s, Christian X and Queen Alexandrine often visited Skagen and brought friends from other European monarchies.Skagen's Sportscenter was completed in 1974, primarily to accommodate badminton and tennis.The local football club, Skagen Idræts Klub, was founded in 1946 and reached the Jyllandsserien, one of the lower divisions in Danish football, as their best position.Skagen reached a peak population of 14,050 in 1980, after which it gradually declined. Thanks to the artistic community which still remains in Skagen, the local arts and crafts trade remains important to the income of the town with its numerous crafts shops and galleries.Chains such as the international jeweller Skagen Designs have branches in the town, and given the abundance of fresh fish coming in at the port of Skagen, seafood forms a staple in Skagen's restaurants.